Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Better You V.2 (playing nice)

#2: Playing Nice






#1 Being Unselfish
I'm going to start off by telling you a sad fact; it's really hard most days for me to be in a great mood. I feel like I never get enough sleep and never have enough time to myself, so I usually, sadly let it bubble up inside me and have a pretty stinky attitude the rest of the day and feel like everything and everyone is working against me. I'm so blessed to have so many loving friends and family that still except me and want me around even if I am having a bad day.

Yesterday I heard a sermon on being nice to people(not being selfish) and making friends. The day before that I watched a movie about a girl who was truly genuinely wanting to live her life to help others. It made me think a lot about how selfish I really am. Am I living my life just for myself?  Why am I always so concerned with my little problems and no one else's? Do I live my life and do everything for my benefit alone? Do I do everything with the intention of reaping a benefit?

Luke 14:12-14


12 Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

My husband heard a statistic the other day that people who volunteer their time are said to live a happier life. So doing something without expecting to get paid back with a favor or money ends up making you happier in the long run. It's something that no one can put a price on!



#2 Making New Friends
Continuing on from the speech I heard the other day about being generous and making friends, most of my life I've always selfishly (yes, that word again) told myself, "I don't need new friends, I love the ones I've got and am just gonna stick with them." Don't get me wrong, I love my friends more than anything and I'd never want to do anything to change our relationship with each other. But yes, I do need to step outside of my Close Friends Only Zone at times and make some new ones. Hey! Maybe even make a new bestie kinda friend if I'm lucky!
A few pointers for me (or you)on making a new bestie:

  • Say Yes more often. My whole life I've been a pretty big home-body which is fine. Cuddling up with my sweeties and taking it easy is so nice, but when someone asks me to hang out with new people or do something kinda out of the ordinary, I'm pretty reluctant most of the time and usually make excuses. I don't want the evening to end up turning out lame and so I stay home knowing it's a safe choice.
  • Being authentic. I'm actually pretty good at this one. Although I'm not a loud person I really do know what I do like and don't like-- believe and don't believe. I have a pretty unique sense of things and stand pretty strong in it. I never try to fake my self into a friendship. Having said all of that leads me to my next pointer...
  • Speaking up. It's pretty hard to strike up an interesting conversation with a stranger, but the worst that can happen after some small talk is that you leave without them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment